What is a blind stitch?
A blind stitch is also called an invisible stitch. Its purpose is to seamlessly connect 2 pieces of fabric.
The technique of making a blind seam is very simple. The main requirement when performing it is accuracy. From the front side, the item should look like it was sewn on a typewriter.
A blind seam by hand (photos are presented step by step later in the article) is easy to do. It has several purposes. The main function is to connect two parts.
The main uses of the blind seam are described in the table:
Features of a blind seam
The peculiarity of the seam is that it actually exists, but it is not visible. The stealth effect is achieved with practice. To begin with, use fabrics with pronounced textures, where the weaving threads are visible. It can be cotton, linen, woolen fabric.
There are 2 ways to use the blind stitch:
- For hemming the product (purl blind stitch). In this case, you need to sew so that no stitches are visible on the front side. The stitches vary in length, and on the face fabric the needle only catches 1-2 threads.
- For connecting two parts (front blind seam). The cut edges of the parts are folded inside out, and the thread is passed into the folds of the parts. If the color of the thread is chosen exactly to match the product, the seam becomes almost invisible. The stitches on both sides are equal in length.
Used for maximum discreet finishing of hems, linings, pockets, etc.
Pass the needle through the folded edge of the top fabric. Grab one thread of the bottom fabric and reinsert the needle into the fold of the top fabric.
To sew up a hole in a machine-stitched seam, sew a blind stitch, catching an equal number of threads in the top and bottom layers. Make a few stitches and then pull the seam section together.
Blind seam video
This sewing technology is an indispensable part for the quality completion of the repair. After all, thanks to this hidden stitch, you can beautifully finish the product, and from the front side no one will be able to distinguish a hidden stitch from machine work. The presence of a hole will simply be invisible.
Very easy to sew:
- pass the thread through the needle and tie a knot;
- we bring the needle inside out to thereby hide the knot;
- then we stretch the thread, thereby connecting the two edges of the hole with a stitch;
- the main thing is to tighten the thread, but not to tighten it too tightly;
- It is important that the stitches are evenly spaced one to one.
Thanks to this seam, the presence of holes will be invisible.
How to sew up a hole in a sock with an invisible seam
A hole in the toe or heel is one of the most common “damages” to a sock. It happens that you don’t have threads of a suitable color on hand – for example, at the dacha or while traveling. This life hack is about how to sew knitwear with a seam in which the thread on the front side is not visible, so you can use any color. In addition, there is no need for special devices, as with darning. Please note: this method is not suitable for places that are too visible. It’s more of a life hack for quickly fixing something that’s torn.
1. Thread a needle and make a small knot. Do not turn the product inside out. Pass the needle through the hole to the inside of the knitwear and leave the knot there.
2. Start sewing up the hole, grabbing one or the other edge in turn. Proceed as shown in the diagram.
3. After finishing the seam, pull the thread. Pull until the thread goes into the seam, becoming invisible from the front side, but does not pull the seam. You can always pull the seam sideways to straighten the thread a little. Bring the needle inside out and secure the thread.
How to blindstitch a broken stitch
In this case, the hidden seam from the previous life hack is also used. Read a detailed tutorial on how to make this seam here.
The method is suitable for repairing burst or torn machine stitching where it is not very convenient to sew up a hole from the inside out. For example, you can sew up a hole in the lining, on the inside pocket, and so on. By the way, this same seam can be used to repair a torn hem on trousers or a skirt.
Carry out the seam as shown in the photo or in the diagram from the life hack above. At the end, carefully secure the thread.
How to sew clothes from the right side
An invisible external seam, made with a thread and a needle on the front side, will save you in an unexpected situation.
If any seam has torn and it cannot be quickly sewn up from the inside out, because… there is no access, for example, the lining is in the way.
It is very easy to sew up the torn area. In addition, no lines need to be drawn. The seam line on the fabric will be visible by itself, it has already been created by machine stitching, iron and time (photo 1)
Using a needle, carefully “open” the seam further (photo 2, photo 3). This will release the threads of the remaining seam. Tie them together with 2 knots, thereby securing the remaining seam. Remove the threads from the fabric inside out. Do the same with the opposite side of the opened seam
Take a thread that matches the color. Thread it through a needle. Make a knot at one end of the thread and leave the other end of the thread hanging freely. For the photo, I deliberately took a thread of a contrasting color to show that the seam would be invisible.
Make a puncture with a thread and a needle on the left half of the seam from the wrong side strictly along the seam line, slightly above the ripped place, pull the thread and needle to the front side of the fabric to be sewn (photo 4).
On the right side of the product, strictly opposite the thread exit from the left half of the seam, make a puncture with a needle and thread on the wrong side and immediately on the front side, also strictly along the seam line. Stitch length is about 1 mm. Pull the thread to the front side (photo 5, photo 6). Tighten the thread so that the halves of the rupture of the product are connected.
Then, on the left side of the product, strictly opposite the thread exit from the right half, make the same puncture 1 mm long (photo 7). Pull the thread and needle to the front side.
On the right side of the product (photo 8), make a puncture with a stitch length of 1 mm exactly opposite the thread exit from the left half of the product. As in photos 5 and 6.
On the left side of the product (photo 9) make a puncture with a stitch length of 1 mm strictly opposite the thread exit from the right half of the product, the same as in photo 7.
So we continue to sew until the end of the gap. At the end of the break, make a securing puncture, or tie the working thread with the opened threads of the product into 2 knots. Cut off the ends of the threads.
Finished seam (photo 11). The needle indicates the starting point of the seam.
This is what the puncture sites look like (photo 12). Demonstration photo.
Blind ladder seam
Look, this is the kind of seam we (I definitely) was taught at school during labor lessons. American craftswomen call it “overlapping”, whip stitch
hereinafter photos from the site sew4home.com
We were taught to sew up the opening for turning inside out with such a seam, as well as to hem the hem of products. The needle grabs several threads of fabric and goes diagonally.
And here is the “Ladder” seam. the needle goes straight straight down.
Here is a drawing – a diagram of the seam
The seam consists of three main actions.
First step – insert the needle into the fabric from below (or to the left) of the hole and bring it out after 2-3 mm, make a small stitch “Forward needle”,
Second action – insert the needle on the other side of the hole strictly above the exit of the needle, that is, perpendicular to the first seam. Make the same small stitch “forward needle” and bring the needle and thread out,
Third step – tighten the thread. One seam is pressed against the other (well, I don’t know how else to describe it) and the threads are absolutely invisible. And so does the seam, if, for example, you sew two fragments of a single-color fabric with thread that matches the color of the fabric.
1. Insert the needle into the edge of the fabric, make a small “forward needle” stitch and pull the needle out
2. Insert the needle into the opposite edge of the fabric directly above the first seam, make another small “forward needle” stitch and pull the needle out.
It is better to tighten the thread so that the seam is hidden through several such steps.
Since the thread will be stretched all the time, it is very important that it is strong and does not break suddenly, as sometimes happens (for me, for sure) with a thread that is pulled too tightly.
This is what the seam looks like after the hole is completely sewn up.
In order not to leave a “tail” from the cut thread – another small know-how, this is from the craftswomen who sew big-legged dolls.
When the hole is sewn up, make a small knot on the thread next to the last seam so that the thread does not come apart; Then you pass the needle and thread through the entire thickness of the product, or you step back three to four centimeters from the edge of the seam, and pull the thread out by the needle. Pull the thread again and cut it off. Then you straighten the product – the tail hides inside. It’s so simple.
Step-by-step instructions for a blind seam
Move again to the opposite side, grab 3-6 mm of fabric and bring the needle to the front side. As you finish the stitch, pull the thread to tighten the pieces, but don’t overdo it so you don’t tighten it too much.
Continue stitching until you have closed the hole.
Some tips for making a blind hem
Although the invisible seam in needle stitching is used for repairing clothes and fixing holes, it must be neat. This is due to the fact that all stitches are made from the right side of the material. But when working with different types of fabric, threads and clothing, there are some nuances.
If you need to sew up a hole in jeans or trousers, turn the product inside out. Other types of clothing are sewn from the outside.
To make the seam truly invisible, that is, invisible, you need to try to make stitches of the same size and at the same distance from each other. When, after stitching, you begin to pull the edges together after processing the material, the seam will be almost invisible.
Using a regular blind seam, they sew soft toys that have a foot that has fallen off or are torn along the seam. If you can use different methods to sew a seam, then a hidden method is best suited for repairing torn parts. Sometimes you can use a knitting needle.
To make the seam less noticeable, it is better to choose matching threads. If these are not at hand, use black threads for dark fabrics and white threads for light ones.
If, before making a seam like on a sewing machine with a needle, the thread is chosen strictly by number, then when sewing by hand, everything is different. The thread should be one size smaller than the material requires. And the needle should always be thin and sharp with a small eye, so as not to leave large punctures in the material. If a tool becomes bent or rusted, it should be replaced immediately. Otherwise, the fabric may be damaged.
The technique of making a blind seam can be found in the video below.
Choosing threads and needles
In order to properly sew up tears in pants, as well as in any other clothing, you will need suitable threads and needles. The choice of tools and consumables must be given close attention to avoid deformation of the material, reliability of stitches, ease of stitching, and invisibility of the seam.
Using various techniques, you can quite quickly sew up a small hole in a shirt, T-shirt, leggings, jeans or sweatpants. The thread must be selected based on the thickness, color and quality of the fabric.
- If you take it too thin, it will cut the material and tear. When stitching with a sewing machine, stitches may be skipped, the needle may break, the top of the stitch may be damaged, and loops and waviness may appear.
- Too thick leads to deformation of the material and seam divergence.
The balance of thread and needle thickness must also be maintained. If the finishing seam should stand out, then the thread is taken 1-2 sizes thicker. Needles are selected according to the thickness of the fabric, type of work, and type of thread. Thinner materials should be matched with a thin, sharp needle and vice versa. The longer and thicker the working tool, the lower its number on the size scale.
To process knitted pants, use needles with a rounded end.
Choose a thread based on the thickness, color and quality of the fabric
Type of needle – by fabric thickness, type of work, thread type
Mending clothes with a needle and thread
The longitudinal hole can be easily darned using a primitive seam by hand. To do this, fold the edges from the wrong side and fasten them “forward with a needle.” Additionally, we sew a seam “over the edge” and fasten the thread to a knot. Snake sewing imitates machine stitching. This is how they fix things that have come apart at the seams. It is very convenient to mend a hole in a sock and tights with a “snake”.
What to do with things that have a hole in the most visible place? There are several tricks that will quickly return the fabric to its proper appearance.
Small holes sometimes appear on knitwear items, in inconspicuous places or in a visible area. Often such defects appear on T-shirts, T-shirts, shorts, sweatpants and leggings after machine washing.
They can be easily repaired by circular sewing, and no one will notice anything:
- Take the thread exactly in the color of the fabric.
- We pass each loop with stitches, moving in a circle and tightening the thread. We work on the wrong side and constantly check how the fabric looks on the front side.
- The hole will gradually close.
- Do not forget to fasten the thread from the wrong side so that the seam does not tear.
The same method is used to repair a woolen sweater, jacket, or pullover.
Another example of darning to hide a round hole on a fine knitwear item:
- We take out a thin nylon thread from unnecessary tights.
- We hook the loops on the front side and fasten them with thread without pulling the fabric.
- Finish sewing from the inside out, secure the thread with a knot.
- Iron the darning area with a hot iron. The nylon thread will melt a little and close the defect.
Knitted products have holes in the seam area, especially under the armpit: holes form there at an angle, and it is no longer possible to sew them with a standard machine stitch.
- We prepare a thin hook and threads for knitting, similar in thickness and color to the fabric of the item.
- We hook a loop and pull it through the adjacent one.
- At the end, we secure everything with a thread using a needle.
Jeans often fray between the legs from frequent wear and washing. You can sew this place up unnoticed by simulating weaving threads in the fabric.
It is better to use a machine stitch:
- Turn the pants inside out.
- First we stitch the torn part lengthwise with several lines, then we do the same thing across. The threads should form a dense mesh. On the front side, this work is very similar to the structure of denim.
If the jeans fabric is damaged in a non-critical area, such as the leg or pocket, then try perforating it. If necessary, make the cut wider, pull out the longitudinal threads and rub the edges with sandpaper to make them fluffy.
It is better to entrust massive products to the atelier workers, since it is impossible to do without ripping out the lining. It’s especially offensive when an expensive fur coat suffers. Holes in the fur appear mainly on the sleeves, in the armpit area. To fix the defect, you will need a fur-colored thread, instant glue and a medical bandage.
- Sew the torn edges together.
- Cut off a small strip of bandage.
- Apply a little glue to the bandage.
- Apply a bandage to the seam.
- Lay out the fur coat on a flat surface and wait for it to dry for a couple of days.
Repairing sheets, pillowcases and other bedding requires special care. An uneven seam not only looks unsightly, but also causes discomfort during sleep. If the sheet is torn in the center, it means that the fabric in this place has worn out and will no longer perform its function. Cut the sheet in half and then sew it together so that the edges are in the center. Don’t forget to serge the new edges.
Miss Clean magazine recommends sewing up holes in bedding immediately upon discovery, otherwise they will quickly grow.
To ensure that the seam is tight and does not fall apart, make the stitches as close as possible.
How to sew up holes correctly
Any housewife, even a novice, can sew up a hole if she follows the standard rules in clothing repair, namely:
- the needle must be matched to the thickness of the fabric, because an incorrect selection will leave unsightly holes on the product;
- the color of the thread should match the color of the fabric as best as possible;
- don’t get distracted, focus on work;
- the needle must be new, because even if it has a little rust, it will certainly leave an ugly mark in the form of stains on clothes.
More experienced housewives know how to not only bring a thing back to life by carefully sewing it up, but also perfectly patch the required area by applying a patch to the right place.
The color of the patch should be very close to the color of the fabric on which the housewife is going to sew it. This will make the sewn piece of fabric minimally noticeable on the item. Therefore, you need to match it to the product. It is important that both the item and the patch are washed.
First, turn the item inside out and place the patch right side into the hole. Then baste a piece of fabric on all sides. Disguise the edges a little by making hidden seams. Remove unnecessary threads and run a steamed iron over the repair area.
If you want to come up with and make some kind of trendy product, then you can sew on patches in contrasting colors or use beautiful threads and ribbons that don’t match the fabric at all.
A common problem is the appearance of small holes on T-shirts, tank tops, and shorts after washing in a washing machine. Such a hole is very easy to sew up with a circular seam. But in this case, the thread should match the tone of the item.
After selecting the color, begin to go over the defect with stitches in a circular motion. From the front side, be sure to observe how the sewn place will look, and do not forget to fasten the thread on the wrong side, otherwise the seam will come apart.
Sweaters, pullovers, and cardigans can be darned by hand this way.
Nylon thread from unnecessary tights will help you sew up warm clothes. Loops are pulled from the front side of the sweater and fastened with thread from the tights, but without tightening the fabric of the product. And then the standard procedure – darn to the end of the edge of the hole, make a knot from the wrong side and then go through the iron. The nylon thread will melt and close the hole.
But there are also large areas where entire pieces of fabric are missing. In such a situation, you cannot sew it up without a patch. You must understand that such a defect will still remain noticeable, but it will look more aesthetically pleasing and tidy.
Stitching is most often used for thick fabrics with long pile, for example, winter trousers. This method requires less material, and traces of work are almost invisible. If the torn area is small, you can cut a piece from the hem of the product or take a piece of fabric that matches the color, pattern and nature of the material of the pants.
The patch must be exactly equal to the size of the hole. The direction of the pile and threads of the fabric must match. The torn material is fixed on thick fabric, then a patch is inserted and also basted to it. Sew edge to edge, the stitches go alternately, either on the main fabric or on the patch, exactly in accordance with the pattern.
On the front side the stitches should be very small, on the back side – a little larger.
At the end of the piece, the wet material must be ironed from the inside and from the front side. Thin fabric on the outside must be ironed through gauze.
Insert the patch into the hole, sew edge to edge, iron on both sides
To properly sew up a hole, embroidery is sometimes used. This is a non-standard process that allows you to make a seam very original by applying beautiful zigzags, waves or other shapes to the defect site.
Decorative darning is somewhat different from regular darning. In the second case, the master tries to repeat the weaving of the fabric, and with the help of decorative seams he creates a pattern on the trousers. It makes sense to use this kind of darning for items where you need to repair a hole and at the same time change their appearance. There is no need to throw away your pants or run to a workshop; you can do everything beautifully with your own hands.
One of the techniques for such darning is artistic stitches. Need to prepare:
- a pattern of what you want to place on the abrasion;
- a mushroom or light bulb to stretch the fabric.
The darning fungus is placed on the inside under the hole. The pattern is applied to the outside of the fabric and a pattern is formed using stitches. If the craftsman has the appropriate skills, you can even embroider a pattern, for example, with a cross.
Artistic darning can also be based on simply sewing a tear of fabric, but with beautiful, unusual stitches. This is done like this:
- Avoid ruptures at the damage site. If there are any, cut the fabric, making the seam less noticeable. When darning, it will be completely eliminated.
- Secure the damage with thin threads matching the color of the clothing at the beginning and end. This is done with large stitches on the back.
- Sew 2-3 stitches on the outside at the edge, moving to the inside.
- Connect the tear in the fabric and make small stitches from the inside, starting from the edges.
- Press the seam from the inside out to smooth out the edges of the tear.
- Make a zigzag darning from the outside, getting rid of the dent in the fabric joint.
- Press the seam.
This way you can get rid of small holes. In case of significant damage, apply a patch of the same color to the inside.
Using a sewing machine
With a home machine, repairing products will be a joy for you. After all, if you learn how to use the device correctly, the repair will happen much faster, and most importantly, with high quality. The seams on the hole in such situations are not noticeable at all due to the excellent work of the machine.
Piecing is a technique that helps make holes invisible using a sewing machine. This technique is common when repairing denim products. Turn on the reverse and forward stitch function. In this case, it is necessary to use a patch. On the front side we make stitches using back and forth movements. This way you kind of paint over and sew up the hole.
If you like to experiment, you can use threads of a completely different shade. This will decorate your old jeans with a new design.
Patches and applications
Iron-on adhesive is an option for a patch. The element can be purchased at any sewing department, there is an unlimited choice for every taste. To glue it to the product, just take it out of the packaging, apply it to the hole and iron it with an iron. In this case, needles are almost never used.
Also in sewing stores there is an option to purchase interesting stripes that will simply cover the hole. But you still need to sew it up, otherwise the fabric will unravel.
Along the seam
Sewing clothes along the seam is quite easy, because you follow the needle along an already existing path. In this case, it is very difficult to make a mistake about where the seam is. Be sure to tie the thread into a knot, and use a needle to exactly follow the path of the holes that were there before.
To repair the product, there is also a method without a needle. Gluing tape will help you with this, as it will quickly eliminate the unwanted defect. Cut out a piece of tape and apply it from the inside out, pulling the edges together before doing so. Cover the area with the tape with a cloth, spray it with water, and then iron it with a heated iron.
This way it is possible to save an item from a hole that was burned by a cigarette, for example.
Types of holes on jeans
- On your knees;
- Between the legs;
- On and in your pocket;
- On the butt.
Small hole in pocket
Important! Jeans are demi-season clothing and, due to constant wear, regardless of their quality, they can tear and wear out in certain places where friction most often occurs. And it most often occurs from the inner thighs, on the knees and at the very bottom along the hem.
Pants worn between legs
How to finish edges
If the hole is small and longitudinal, not torn at the edges, then it is sewn up with a buttonhole stitch. Craftsmen also use other seams for processing, for example, “forward needle”.
How to make fabric more durable
If you need to sew up a hole in jeans between the legs, then it is “strengthened” before darning, since frayed and torn material will look worse. For example, the abrasion may become larger. To do this, patches are applied and other methods are used.
Repair of thick knitwear
The demonstrated method is suitable for any item made of thick knitwear, including woolen socks.
- Turn the item inside out. Place small stitches on the needle across the direction of the threads in the product. Move up and down, stitching all the way to the end of the hole.
- Use the same stitches along the direction of the threads, intertwining them with the stitches already laid, grabbing a little of the material itself.
- Secure the thread with small stitches and then cut it off.
Technique for closing a hole with an angle
It is possible to sew up jeans discreetly by hand in case of various types of damage by selecting the appropriate restoration technique.
For example, for complex angular tears, repairs are carried out as follows:
- Place the damaged area of the item on a hard surface.
- Carefully iron the wrong side of the tear.
- Tighten the edges with a thin basting thread. Start with the shorter side of the corner, then sew the second, longer side.
- Each direction of the tear is sewn with a “needle by needle” suture, starting, as in the previous operation, from a shorter line.
- Sew the treated sides of the corner with an “over the edge” seam.
- Iron through a damp cloth.
How to raise the eyelets at the seam
- Using a crochet hook, pick up the loops.
- Gather with a safety pin.
- Close them with a hook, pulling one loop through the other.
- Secure the last one with thread.
- Use the same thread to sew up the hole.
If a hole has formed like in the picture below, then take tone-on-tone threads.
- Pick up stitches with crochet hook.
- Collect loops according to the pattern shown in the picture. For clarity, a thread of a contrasting color was taken.
- Having collected the runaway loops, bring the thread to the wrong side, pass it between the loops, as in the photo. Remove all scraps inside out.
How to beautifully sew up a large hole in a winter jacket
If the damage is large and cannot simply be sewn up with thread, you need to prepare a patch. It’s good if you didn’t throw away the extra piece of fabric that is usually included with the jacket when you buy it. If this material is not available, you will have to select the fabric in the store.
- sewing glue;
- Remove fabric fibers sticking out of the hole.
- Cut out a patch of appropriate size.
- Apply glue to the wrong side of the patch and glue the part to the tear site.
- Place a press on the jacket and leave it for several hours.
Technique for repairing a burnt hole
A hole burned by a cigarette or a spark from an open fire source is usually not large in size, has a round shape and characteristic dark scorch marks along the edges. The repair method should be chosen based on these features. The sealing of round holes was discussed above.
However, if the hole is very small and does not exceed 2 – 3 mm in diameter, it can be carefully sewn up with thick threads, pulling the edges together. If the seal is carried out using the method described above, the scorched edges of the hole should first be treated. The scorch marks are cut with scissors, and then the edge of the hole is folded over to the wrong side and hemmed.
Technique for closing a gap without a patch
A patch will not be needed if a blind stitch is used for the repair. To create a neat and invisible blind seam, you will need to follow the steps described below sequentially.
- Randomly insert a needle and thread into the fabric from the wrong side and bring it out onto the face, leaving a knot in the fold of the fabric on the reverse side.
- Connect the edges of the tear by inserting the needle at a distance of 4 – 5 mm from the edge.
- Make a straight stitch, bringing the needle and thread to the right side.
- Repeat this action until the break line is completely closed. While working, the thread should be slightly tightened after each stitch.
- At the end of the work, fasten the thread by threading it through the loop and tightening it slightly.
Hole on a knitted T-shirt
It is not difficult to put a hole in thin cotton knitwear. It’s all the more unpleasant when it shows off in a prominent place of your favorite thing. In such cases, repairs are usually made with simple threads using a hidden seam. But even then, “terry” threads often remain on the front side, and the thickness unpleasantly increases.
To sew up a hole on a T-shirt as discreetly as possible, use a thin (beaded) needle and thread from chiffon, organza or waste nylon tights:
- Pull the thread out of the fabric and thread it into the needle. For convenience, we use a thread threader. We do not tie a knot.
- Quilt on the right side of the fabric, inserting the needle into the knitted loops. To prevent eye pain, turn on a bright light and arm yourself with a magnifying lens.
- Connect the opposite edges of the hole.
- At the end, we bring the needle to the wrong side and collect the missing loops.
- We use stitches instead of knots to secure them.
- Upon completion of the work, we go over the seam with an iron from the inside out to fix it and not accidentally tighten it in the future.
Hole on hand knitted fabric
A suitable repair method for knitted items is darning. How discreetly you can hide the loose loops depends on the size of the damage. Thus, a short hook with a torn or pulled out thread can easily be patched with a knitted seam, simply by gathering the loops together with a suitable thread.
If the thread breaks and the fabric unravels, the best option is to restore the torn thread in the top row (tying the ends together) or replace it with a new one, then arm yourself with knitting needles or a crochet hook and pick up the thread, re-knitting the section. Secure with a “crawfish step” or a simple overlock stitch.
How to remove a large tear if all or several threads are torn:
- Run a needle-forward stitch around the gap. This way the fabric will not stretch during darning, and the thread can be pulled out afterwards.
- Then, between the outer loops of each row of holes, stretch thin transverse threads as a warp.
- Perform the darning itself by wrapping loops around each warp thread from the top to the very bottom of the break. Next row, “braid” the hole with the same girths, but from the bottom up.
How to beautifully sew up pants at the knee
If you need to beautifully sew up a hole in your knee, we offer a simple but proven method that even someone who has never mended clothes can handle. By the way, if your jeans are torn, you don’t have to sew up the hole, but turn it into part of the design.
- threads in the color of the fabric;
- First of all, use scissors to remove the threads sticking out around the hole. Be careful not to damage the entire fabric.
- Turn the pants inside out and use thread and a needle to sew the hole several times. Make the stitches as close to each other as possible.
- Fasten and cut the thread, remove excess fabric.
- After this, heat the iron and apply it to the repaired area. This technique will help smooth out the problem area, and the marks of the repair will become less noticeable.
How to beautifully sew up a hole with thread if the side seam has come apart
- thread to match the stitching.
- Thread the needle and make a small knot.
- Bring the needle out from the wrong side, hiding the knot in the fold.
- The thread should come out to the edge of the fold.
- Start stitching a few millimeters before the seam that has come apart to strengthen it.
- Use the needle to grab 3-6 mm of fabric, making a straight stitch and connecting the two sides of the item. The needle should come out on the front side.
- Move the needle again to the opposite side.
- Make a stitch of 3-6 mm and bring the needle to the right side.
- Don’t forget to pull the pieces together after each stitch by pulling the thread.
- Continue stitching until you have completely joined the edges of the hole.
- At the last stitch, pass the needle through the loop and tighten the knot. Repeat a couple of times.
How to sew up a hole in a sweater
It seems that it is very difficult to restore a knitted sweater that has a hole in it. In fact, hiding a defect is quite simple. First you need to determine the location and visual perception of the hole. And then pick up the seam.
How to mend a hole in knitwear by hand if it is located on the fabric:
Please note! The work is done from the wrong side to hide the knots and the thread itself.
- After forming several seams, the thread needs to be pulled up a little to bring the edges of the hole closer.
- Then transverse suturing is performed. The thread must be pulled through the already formed stitches.
Repair of a knitted sweater
This results in a small patch that does not stand out on the knitted fabric. Even a child can carry out this type of repair.
How to repair a sock
You don’t always have to darn your socks. Especially if it is a knitted material, and the damage is not on the heel and is not huge in size. Various repair techniques:
- You can use a hidden seam, as when repairing jackets. This option is relevant if the fabric has a ribbed print.
- The current option is “darning”, which is used for repairing knitted sweaters.
Additional information! In order not to deform the sock and keep your foot comfortable, you do not need to tighten the thread too much and choose a synthetic version of the material for work.
The technique option depends on the color and design and print. Using the same principle, you can repair leggings.
How to mend a burnt hole?
Quite a common situation for those who spend a lot of time outdoors, for example, near a fire, or those who smoke. But sometimes this can happen by accident.
In this case, our advice to you is to carefully cut off the melted or burnt edges of the product in order to make the hole as invisible as possible.
Choose threads that are the same color as the threads of the trousers themselves. You can easily sew both edges together by hand. Use a zig-zag stitch, but before doing this, turn the product inside out so that the threads do not stick out on the front side.
Nuances of work taking into account the location of the hole
Jeans is one of the most durable materials, but with daily wear it still wears out. Jeans have a special cut, so holes constantly appear between the legs. The area is quite inconvenient, since if sloppy patches and stitches are applied, a person will experience discomfort when walking. When repairing this place, special attention and accuracy is required. The most suitable method is a piece that turns out flat and smooth.
It’s easier to disguise a hole on a pant leg: the knee or the area at the back. In this case, it is possible to use both plastering and other types of hole sealing.
You can beautifully decorate a hole of any size by hand, the main thing is to choose the right material. If the trouser leg can be trimmed with lace or embroidery, then such decoration will not work on the back. It is better to glue a modest applique to this area.
How to mend the heel of a wool sock
The only drawback of wool socks is the rapid deterioration of the heel – the hole is worn out. To repair an item, you can use 2 different methods:
- You can mend the hole using a sewing machine. To do this, you need to select a special pad in the kit, which is attached instead of the foot, and set the stitch to the minimum length. To carry out such repairs, you need special equipment and the ability to carry out such operations.
- The second option is simpler, but longer. You need to not only know how to sew, but also knit. It is necessary to cut off the uneven edges of the abrasion. Remove the yarn so that the loops stand out. Fix the knitting needles on them and knit the missing rows. Then, using a thread and a needle, sew the heel and elastic loops together.
Heel repair on wool toe
In both the first and second cases, the product will look like new. The choice should be made in accordance with the size of the hole and the skills of the needlewoman.
How to beautifully sew a jacket by hand
The previous method can be simplified even further. To do this, you don’t even have to rip out the lining. Insert the needle from the wrong side and sew up the hole with a blind stitch, making even, parallel stitches.
How to beautifully sew up a hole in your pants between your legs
If the tear is small, it can be sewn by hand.
- threads to match the fabric;
- Remove loose threads.
- Using a “blind” stitch, work the hole from the wrong side vertically, stepping back a couple of centimeters from the right edge.
- Continue darning until they completely cover the hole.
- Pull one thread at a time, gathering the fabric together.
- Secure the thread with a knot from the inside.
How to beautifully sew a jacket without darning
To the delight of those who do not know how to sew neatly, when mending clothes you can do without any seams at all.
- piece of polyethylene;
- fabric for patch;
- Cut out a patch slightly larger than the hole.
- Place a piece of polyethylene on the wrong side.
- Place the patch on the front side and heat it up with an iron.
- The straightened polyethylene will hold the patch in place.
How to sew up a hole in the knee of sweatpants
Children’s pants often require patch repairs in the knee area. How to sew up a hole in the knee of sweatpants is determined after assessing the situation, but basically a patch is applied from a material that is suitable in texture or texture.
How to beautifully sew up a hole on the knee of jersey sweatpants:
- Cut a strip from the fabric, the length of which will correspond to the width of half of the pant leg, and the height to the dimensions of the damage.
- Apply a patch to the problem area. Secure it with safety pins.
- Sew the patch to the trouser leg using any suitable seam.
Repairing knees on sweatpants
You can replace the entire damaged part in the same way. Cut off the damaged strip and sew in the same one, but from a different material.
What to do if it is impossible to eliminate it
If your jeans have completely become unusable and cannot be repaired, you should not throw them away. You can make a lot of useful things from strong fabric. If you cut off the torn legs and unravel the remaining edges to form a fringe, you get stylish denim shorts. Old torn denim pants can make a short, fashionable skirt for a young girl.
A good option is making a funny toy. In this case, other fabric, fur, and buttons are added to the denim. A great product made from jeans is a bag, made for different purposes, in different styles. There are a lot of options – it could be a shopper bag, a backpack, a beach bag, or a shopping bag. A modern patchwork bag is considered relevant; it requires some work, but the item will turn out fashionable and original.
Worn old jeans can easily be given a new life, it’s just important to know how to quietly revive the product. As a result of several hours of work, you get a new beautiful thing made of practical fabric that will last for many years.
How to get rid of scuff marks
Sometimes it happens that there is no hole, but it is about to appear on your product, but in the meantime, in its place there is a fray, large or not.
You need to turn the jeans inside out and carefully fold the edge that is most frayed in the product. Now you can carefully patch it up with a machine, leaving a small, neat seam in place.
How to fix a hole in a fabric sofa
Furniture restoration is considered a complex and expensive process, especially when it comes to changing or repairing upholstery. You can cope with the task yourself. How to fix a hole on a fabric sofa, creating a designer look:
- Prepare patches from the selected material according to the shape of the holes or cuts.
- Place blanks on problem areas, baste elements.
- Sew the blanks to the fabric base. Can be glued with a glue gun.
There are methods for solving problems with leather upholstery options. Few people know how to fix a hole on a leather sofa, but it is possible:
- Clean the cut area.
- Fill the problem area with liquid skin.
- Remove residues with a damp cloth.
- Iron through the fabric.
Leather sofa repair
These techniques will help extend the life of furniture and make it designer.
How to sew up a hole in the butt by hand?
The choice of method for restoring jeans in the buttock area depends on the nature of the damage. A hole with torn edges can be repaired using the plastering method described earlier. Since the defect may be in a fairly noticeable place that catches the eye, it is better not to sew the patch on the wrong side, but to attach it using an adhesive base. This will help avoid possible protruding tissue thickenings.
If your jeans are split or torn along the seam, you should use a blind stitch.
Finally, the hole in the butt can be decorated with an applique or a false pocket. When choosing decorative elements, it is important to observe moderation and focus on the age, gender and lifestyle of the person who will wear the item.
How to sew up a hole in your knee with your hands?
It will not be possible to sew jeans at the knee without it being noticeable. However, for lovers of handmade work, in this case there are many opportunities to show creative imagination.
Below are some of the most obvious options for decorating a hole in the knee:
- Denim patch in contrasting color.
- A patch made of printed fabric of a different type and texture.
- Contrasting decorative darning.
- Leather patch.
Decorative patches can be sewn on the front side or peeking out from a hole on the back. They can be done on both knees, placed symmetrically, or on just one.
How to sew up a hole in a pocket?
Concealing holes in jeans pockets is probably easier than in any other place. Pockets are traditionally decorated with stitching, embroidery, appliques, and stripes.
A small hole can be hidden by sewing an applique over it or embroidering any image using satin stitch, woolen or silk floss threads. A contrasting or monochrome artistic darning laid over the patch will perfectly hide the hole.
How to sew near a pocket?
Characteristic holes in the corners of pockets are formed when the pockets are constantly pulled down. This happens when you constantly carry any bulky items in your pockets (for example, a wallet or keys). If a person is used to keeping his hands in his pockets, they can also begin to wear out and tear quite quickly.
The method of sealing holes near the pockets depends on their size. If the hole is barely visible and is located close to the edge of the pocket, it can be sewn with an “over the edge” seam. If there are larger holes, the edge of the pocket should be torn off. Then the hole is darned or stitched in the usual way, after which the pocket is returned to its place.
What to do with the frayed bottom of jeans?
Worn out hems should be repaired in the following order:
- iron the hems;
- cut off frayed threads and/or the entire bottom edge with scissors if it is very frayed;
- sew a trouser tape of a suitable color to the front side;
- fold the ribbon inward and sew on the wrong side;
- iron with a hot iron;
- add a finishing stitch if desired.
You can get rid of frayed bottoms in another way: cut off the legs completely or halfway, turning the jeans into shorts or breeches.
How to quietly sew up a hole in tulle
To “repair” tulle, you must first connect the edges with a thin thread of a suitable color. Be sure to connect small cells. To completely patch the problem, you need to apply a special web tape to the area. Iron the area through gauze.
How to repair a hole in raincoat fabric
The most difficult thing to sew up is raincoat fabric. The texture comes apart easily under the influence of a needle. There are several options:
- Use an invisible seam if it is necessary to remove a defect in the connection of product parts.
- Glue the edges with textile glue. Cut off the frayed threads and fold the edges. Glue the parts together.
- Make a small patch of an interesting shape.
Option for restoring raincoat fabric
It is not advisable to sew the raincoat material, as the base may split again. It is better to use glue or adhesive bases.
Hole on genuine leather
Although leather clothing is practical and durable, even it is not protected from accidental snags on sharp objects. Light damage – holes and narrow cuts – is best fixed with glue to an internal patch made of plaster or any thin, elastic material.
To sew up a large hole, prepare two patches to match the color of the product:
- fabric, slightly wider than the gust, will be located on the inside as a lining;
- leather, identical in size.
Next, the edges of the tear are aligned, and the patches are carefully attached to the tear, joining together.
Hole on nylon tights
Nylon is a light and fragile material that breaks at almost any snag. If you don’t have the time and money to buy a new pair, you can get used to it and carefully sew up the tights both on your fingers and in a visible place:
- Prepare a thin needle and thread that is as close in color to the product as possible. Silk threads or thread pulled from unnecessary tights are also suitable.
- Gently pinch the opposite edges at the base of the hole.
- Sew tights, sequentially picking up loops from different sides. Try not to miss a single one to prevent the material from spreading further.
- If possible, go over the seam with a clear varnish.
Don’t rush to throw away tights with arrows that are too far apart. Use them to pull out thin threads and make the most invisible seams.
Hole on lace and guipure
Restoring torn guipure or lace is a painstaking task that requires special patience, and in most cases also experience in lace weaving. Repairing a lace product will make it easier to pre-align the edges of the hole to avoid mesh breaks.
If the hole is not noticeable, you should try to find guipure that matches the pattern in stores and hem it with a thin single thread from the bottom.
You can try to restore the lace mesh pattern so that the seam from the patch is not visible. A rougher finish will be obtained by crocheting the mesh. To do this, a strong thread will need to be tied into small bundles. The most accurate restoration of the pattern is achieved when weaving lace using bobbins – special spools onto which yarn is thrown.
How to beautifully sew up a hole in thick fabric
It is not necessary to mask scuffs and rips on furniture, leather clothing, and denim. If they are located in a visible place, they can be decorated. Here are some techniques:
- “leaf”: the upper and lower edges of the hole are fixed with 1 stitch, then from edge to edge of the drawn leaf, stitches are placed crosswise and tightly to each other (each goes in a house and from bottom to top), so that it is formed wicker, reminiscent of the texture of a hazel leaf;
- “chain”: “sleepers” of stitches are laid from bottom to top, and then braided (the needle alternately passes under the “sleepers” from bottom to top and vice versa);
- “snowflake”: the hole is fixed from the inside with interlining or “cobweb”, the vertices of the 6-gon are marked along the face, the thread is pulled to any vertex
, and then each time it passes from the 3rd vertex to the 2nd. And so – in a circle, decreasing the radius on each new row.
With a little skill, getting rid of small defects on clothes will not be difficult. You can remove a hole not only with a neat seam, but, for example, hide it under an applique or patterned darning, thereby beautifully decorating the item.
How to hide a hole under a zipper
If the hole is located in a visible place, then it is better to disguise it. The ideal option in many cases is a zipper. Algorithm of actions:
- Place a zipper over the hole. Note the principle of placement of a decorative element.
- Apply textile glue to the reverse side of the zipper.
- Glue the blank to the fabric base.
- Remove excess glue using a damp cloth.
- Iron the area through the gauze.
In this way, you can close a defect on any type of fabric.
Zipper to hide holes in clothes
If a hole appears on your clothes, then it can be fixed. There are many options for restoring an attractive appearance to things. It is important to choose the right technique according to the type of fabric. A variety of additional materials, as well as tools, can be used.
Options for decorating holes (lace, fabric, leather, embroidery, etc.)
Hand sewing jeans discreetly isn’t always the best idea for a repair. As mentioned above, holes that spoil the appearance of a thing can be “played up” and turned into a fashionable exclusive highlight.
Decoration options entirely depend on the taste, preferences, skills and creative courage of the master.
To transform jeans, combining the functions of repair and decoration, almost any materials, decor and accessories are suitable:
- embroidery threads;
Large holes on the knees or pockets of women’s jeans can be decorated with lace or guipure. If the lace insert is supposed to be on the front side, then the threads should match its color. If the lace is sewn from the wrong side, the threads are matched to the color of the denim. An almost universal way to repair children’s or teenagers’ jeans is appliqué.
It can be sewn on or in the form of a thermal sticker. A single appliqué can be used to mask a hole in a pocket or knee. However, you can sew many similar decorative elements of various shapes and sizes onto different areas of the trousers. An item decorated in this way will look fun and bold; will allow the teenager to stand out among his peers, which is very important at this age.
Below are options for various creative patch ideas for different damage locations.
The needle occupies a central place in the process of repairing a hole in trousers, so experts have developed a number of recommendations regarding this tool:
- When repairing clothes, it is important not to use rusty needles – they leave stains on clothes that are difficult to wash off.
- Modern industry offers platinum-plated sewing tools that do not corrode – they are a little more expensive than usual, but are worth their cost.
- It is important to remember that you need to use different needles for different jobs, and upon completion of the process, store them in a dry place, in special boxes, storing them according to shape and size.
- If the needle breaks, you need to make a knot by starting sewing from the previous stitch.
There are also a number of other tips that will make the repair process easier:
- When ironing, you should always turn your clothes inside out and try to iron them through wet fabric.
- When finishing denim, you should select threads strictly in color, otherwise the work will look untidy and artisanal. The same rule applies to other fabrics, unless there is an artistic intent to darn or patch with contrasting threads.
- When working with crumbling materials, it is treated with a special liquid. Some fabrics, for example, nylon, can be carefully melted over a fire, but this should only be done by those who are confident in their abilities.
Following these rules will reduce the time spent mending a hole and save the family budget, because you will have to contact specialists to repair damage to trousers much less often.
When repairing clothes, do not use rusty needles
When ironing, turn clothes inside out and iron through a wet cloth
For finishing denim, select threads strictly matching the color of the fabric