General instructions before starting work
Before you start working on your spinner, you need to have an idea of what exactly a person wants to get as a result. To ensure that the result does not disappoint, you need to work according to a simple scheme.
- Stage No. 1 – selecting a model and design
Since there are countless possible models of spinners, and we are all different, and we like different things, then to begin with, you can choose the appropriate model from the simple ones. This is necessary so that the process does not turn into punishment. Or you can go the other way and choose the most original model from a special material of an unusual shape. This option is suitable for those who have already tried to create things with their own hands.
- Stage No. 2 – draw and draw
To make everything work, you should take care of the drawing on a scale of 1:1. You can draw the future spinner model on paper, or you can search for ready-made drawings on the vast expanses of the Internet.
- Stage No. 3 – prepare tools
Now that the creator has decided on the design and the schematic image is ready, you can begin to prepare all the necessary materials.
The first step is to purchase (or remove from old equipment) a bearing. It can be made of metal or ceramic. The most acceptable option is a diameter of 2 mm. To ensure a pleasant pastime in the future, professionals advise cleaning the part from lubricant in a “bath” of gasoline before it ends up in the toy.
In addition to the spinner assembly parts, you will also need the following tools:
- Construction marker (pen, pencil, regular felt-tip pen);
- Stationery knife;
- Decorative trim elements (optional);
- Special tools for creating the wings we need (tools for working on wood or metal).
- Stage No. 4 – create a spinner
When the preparation is completed, you can safely start making a toy with your own hands. Next, we will consider several popular options for creating spinners from various materials in several ways.
It is necessary to highlight the decoration of finished products as a separate stage. Do-it-yourself furniture, diagrams of which can be found in this material, is decorated as follows.
|What is it suitable for
|Self-adhesive paper for furniture
|This material can be used in the manufacture of any type of furniture. This film is ideal for beginning craftsmen, because it is easy to cut, and the adhesive layer allows you to decorate the surface without any problems.
|For tabletops, seats of chairs, sofas and armchairs, for decorating cabinet doors and chest of drawers.
|Paints allow you to show creativity and move away from standards. Using paint you can paint any pattern and design. When choosing a product, make sure that it does not damage the paper base. Acrylic or water-based compositions are preferred.
|For all types of crafts, especially for decorating the front parts of products.
|The fabric allows you to imitate the structure of furniture as much as possible.
|Suitable for sofas, armchairs and chairs.
If gouache is used for decoration, you need to mix it with PVA glue (1:1). After drying, the paint will not imprint on your hands, and the product will receive additional rigidity.
Handmade paper furniture will be an excellent option for a dollhouse or designing models of a future interior. Creating miniature objects is a fun activity that you can involve all family members in.
Making a wire frame for sculpting a human figurine | Crafts Fair Magazine
I want to share my experience in making a wire frame for the subsequent sculpting of a human figurine from polymer clay, from plasticine, from self-hardening compounds – it doesn’t matter, we will talk about the basis of the future sculpture, without which it is very difficult to recreate anatomical features of the human figure.
So, we will need pliers, knitting wire with a cross-section of 1 – 1.5 mm (I buy this at Leroy Merlin) and printed templates on human anatomy (found on the internet).
Of course, the template needs to be printed in the scale we need. In my case it is 130 mm. So, we bend and twist the wire as shown in the photo. We make allowance for twisting.
As you can see, arms and legs are forming.
Twist the remaining ends of the wire to form the body.
We apply what we received to the template and determine the places of bends of the joints, pelvis, and shoulders. We bite off the excess with pliers.
In the area of the feet, unwind the wire and make “needles” for installation on the stand. In my case, a silicone bar serves as a stand – it’s easy to stick “needles” into it, and I bake it on it after building up the plastic “meat.”
Well, then, as your creative imagination allows, we build up the “meat” from any sculptural material. To help you, there will be a resource with the strange name “pozmaniac” – there are a huge number of human poses that you can focus on when sculpting.
Sometimes, to save sculptural material, it is useful to use foil from a chocolate bar, wrapping it around a wire frame.
A paper sofa will look great both in a dollhouse and in a miniature copy of a real interior. Before you start, pay attention to the paper sizes:
- For miniature options, you should choose colored paper 10×10 cm;
- For execution in medium sizes, you need to give preference to a workpiece of 20×20 cm;
- To create a large-sized sofa, the dimensions of the material are proportionally increased.
The color of the paper is chosen at will, but it is better that it fits into the future interior or imitates real furniture. Having selected the materials, you can begin manufacturing:
- The square sheet is folded in half, then opened and folded perpendicular to the first;
- The next step will be an additional hem. The bottom edge is folded to the middle fold line, then folded again. The output is 3 fold lines, not counting the central one;
- The lower thin strip is folded over the first fold, after which two identical triangles are laid out by folding the side parts diagonally;
- The accordion is folded to the end, and the upper part of the workpiece is bent to the middle. The workpiece is turned over;
- The lower corners are folded up in turn, and the upper corners are folded down diagonally;
- The workpiece is turned over again, bending one corner inward. This is how the back is formed.
Having turned the product over, you need to form the legs of the sofa and it will be ready. Such a beautiful and original item will become a real decoration for a toy living room or an original art object.
What are spinners for and how do they work?
Fidget spinner is a spinning flat or three-dimensional toy that is popular with adults and children around the globe. Its main purpose is to occupy and distract. Some people think that a spinner is useful, because thanks to it you can be distracted from everyday and psychological problems, relieve irritability, and get rid of anxiety.
There are many forms of the so-called hand twister. It will depend not only on the invented design, but also on the components available in stock. To understand the specifics of the work when creating a spinner with your own hands, you need to know just a few important points.
The required traditional elements of a spinner are:
The most important part of the spinner is the bearing. It will depend on him how long and quickly the toy will spin, as well as its sound and vibrations. In many homemade toys, the bearings are often replaced with primitive toothpick structures, which also allow the toy’s wings to spin.
The wings, or petals, can be from two to six, but two or three petals are often found. It is these elements of the spinner that give room for imagination, allow you to embody bold ideas and show individuality.
The so-called twisters are made of plastic, metal, wood, cardboard and many other materials. Often materials are combined. Recently, plastic or metal toys with luminous wings have become popular.
The design of many homemade spinners is amazing. Many people decorate their toys with interesting engravings, illustrations, and icons. The model of a small spinner that fits in the palm of your hand allows you to characterize its owner without further ado.
Today, a spinner can be bought in almost any store. There are budget models, and there are expensive original or even designer ones. But to stand out from the crowd, you need to make a certain effort, for example, make an original thing with your own hands for yourself or your child, relative, friend (for example, as a gift).
How to make a doll car out of cardboard with your own hands
As always, before starting the master class, you need to prepare everything you need. To make a doll car from cardboard and paper, we will need materials that will not be difficult to find, namely:
- A shoebox to put your doll in.
- Thick cardboard
- Colored cardboard
- Colored paper (we will use pink and black)
- Double-sided tape
- Transparent plastic (a small piece can be cut from a toy box)
- Glitter Headlight Decorations
- Wooden skewers
For those who want to know how to make a car for Barbie out of cardboard, this master class will be a real salvation, because it presents probably the easiest way to create a doll car. So, if you have prepared all the necessary materials, then let’s get started.
We draw a template for doorways. To prepare the template correctly, keep in mind that the length of the doll’s legs is approximately 18 centimeters.
We attach the template to the two sides of our box and trace it. Then we cut the sides along the contour to a horizontal line and bend the resulting “wings” inward. These parts will then hold the seat of our cardboard box car.
We cover our box with colored paper, first on the front and back, and then on the sides. Where we made the blank for the seat, we cut the paper to the corners, carefully bend it inside the box and glue it.
We cut out 4 circles with a radius of 3 cm from colored and thick cardboard and glue the colored cardboard to the thick cardboard. Using a needle, we make holes in the resulting 4 circles, which we then widen with wooden skewers. We got wheels for our car.
We cut out identical blanks for the hood and trunk from colored cardboard. Don’t forget to leave a 1-centimeter margin on each side to glue the cardboard to the box. We cut the blanks at the corners so that the part bends well.
We glue the first part piece by piece with the colored part of the cardboard facing down, since it will be easier to glue the paper onto the gray part.
At the bottom of the box we make holes for the wheels and insert skewers into them.
By analogy with the hood, we glue the trunk, which is the second part.
We cover the hood and trunk with colored paper.
We cut out a piece of plastic from a toy box and, gluing it with black cardboard, we get the windshield of our car.
From black cardboard we cut out the remaining parts of the car: the seat, the hood and the bumper. For sitting, in addition to black cardboard, you will need thick cardboard.
We glue a strip of thick cardboard with a black stripe pasted on it to our car – we get a seat. We glue our glass and hood onto double-sided tape.
We glue on the headlights, thin black stripes for the seats and the bumper. Attach the wheels and cut the skewers, leaving a small part so that the wheels do not fall off. We make a steering wheel from a button, wire or black cardboard. Barbie’s car is ready!
How to make a car and a bicycle for Monster High dolls, Barbie?
What modern and advanced doll does not dream of her own means of transportation, a personal car. After all, with the appearance of a real doll car in a doll’s life, many opportunities and options for games open up.
The doll can go on long or short trips, arrange trips with friends into nature, organize a doll wedding procession, like what happens at a real wedding, and many other equally interesting and exciting things.
In this article, the News portal “Vtemu.by” has collected for you two detailed, understandable and useful video master classes, using which you can easily create a unique doll car or doll bicycle using available materials.
Just a few tips from us.
When creating a doll car, be sure to take into account the dimensions of your doll so that she can easily get into the car, and, if desired, give her doll friend a ride.
If you are a creative person, then you can make an original and beautiful car interior. Cover the cardboard seats of a doll car or the seat of a bicycle with bright scraps of fabric, pieces of fur, decorative paper, ribbons or braid.
After finishing the painstaking work of creating a doll car and bicycle, be sure to take care of the garage. A garage can be made from any cardboard box in which you cut out the garage doors and then decorate it.
What materials are best to use?
If earlier designers understood the word “sculpture” strictly as a person or animal in a certain pose, today the vision of this term has no boundaries. In European parks, sculptures are made from any materials, so we will put the maximum of available information and ideas into this broad concept. Let’s look at the most popular materials for making garden installations.
Plastic and rubber. If there is no recycling center nearby, you should not throw away, much less burn, obsolete items. Turn them into interesting products. Rubber tires, old flower pots, dishes, plastic bottles and eggplants are popular options. Pros – easy to process, low cost, resistance to sun and precipitation.
Plastic bottles can be cut into pieces to create plastic birds and animals for garden decoration. Here are examples of the wonderful works of Oksana Abramova (row of pictures above) and Alena Zinovieva (row of pictures below) from the Country of Masters:
As for rubber garden figurines, they are mainly made from old tires.
How to make a goldfish from tires is shown in the master class below:
Plaster. Products made from sculptural, building plaster or alabaster look very artistic. But there are disadvantages – plaster is difficult to work with, and finished figures are short-lived. But small products are easily obtained using molds. You can even take silicone baking molds to make small flowers or other elements.
How to make plaster flowers using silicone molds is shown in the video below:
Once dry, paint the flowers as you wish with any available exterior paint.
Concrete/cement. Quite strong things come out of a concrete base. Working with concrete is even more difficult than working with gypsum – it is heterogeneous and takes a long time to dry. But concrete is not afraid of frost and precipitation. It is easy to paint, and even without painting, concrete sculptures look stylish.
From cement, sand and water you can make these cute gnomes:
Polyurethane foam. A new movement among craftsmen is foam products. The composition can be applied to a finished base, or you can imagine yourself as a sculptor and cut out a figure from a ready-made solid piece of hardened foam.
The downside is the fragility of the foam – it dries out and deteriorates under the sun, so it is recommended to reinforce it with a plaster bandage and cover it with construction paint.
The craftsman shows how to make a sheep from polyurethane foam in the video below:
Tree. The most noble material. Cutting down old trees or trees that have fallen after a strong wind is a constant concern for the owner of a personal plot. Firewood is not the only product into which stumps and snags are turned. Even the most seemingly unsuitable sticks for decoration sometimes turn into a masterpiece.
Almost untreated logs come to life. And from small logs and boards a fairy-tale hut on chicken legs grows. And if there are slats or small boards left after construction, harness the donkey or horse to a homemade cart.
How to make your own small windmill to decorate the garden is shown in the master class below:
Vine. Not only baskets are woven from vines, but also garden and park sculptures. They look especially relevant in country (rustic) style.
An easy way to have your own mythical animal for fans of the film “How to Train Your Dragon” is to order a sculpture made of wicker at the Crafts Fair or a similar site for hand-made craftsmen. And a wicker ball on a smoothly cut lawn will look just perfect. And even in winter, figures made of wicker look fascinating.
Straw. Short-lived, but so cute, straw dolls are a quick and easy option that can be made with children. A straw goby from a fairy tale will become an interesting garden decoration. Well, you can’t do without seals, which are made from everything, and even from straw, giving it the desired shape and wrapping it with thread. And the men in the family will appreciate the idea of creating a motorcycle from straw in just a couple of hours.
Chest of drawers
The most optimal and profitable way to create a paper chest of drawers is to use matchboxes. They slide out conveniently, so making the item will not be difficult. If you want to make a chest of drawers out of paper, then you should use paper blanks.
Construction of a chest of drawers from paper consists of the following steps:
- Drawing a diagram for creating boxes: this stage is skipped if ready-made matchboxes or other blanks are used;
- Cutting out patterns along the lines, as well as assembling boxes for future chest of drawers;
- The entire chest of drawers is covered with cardboard for strength, but there is no need to seal the front part where the drawers will be inserted;
- The fronts of the drawers are covered with any material – fabric, film, leather, and a bead or button is also attached as a handle;
- Legs for a chest of drawers can be made from push pins – for miniature furniture or toilet paper tubes – for large items.
This chest of drawers is also a good gift for a girl with a lot of jewelry: the drawers will fit all the jewelry.
The most problematic part for me during production was the wing. I redid it several times, trying to achieve the same results on both wings. It turned out different all the time. Lack of experience affected.
An important point when placing the wing drawing on a sheet of ceiling tiles will be the choice of the direction of bending of the ceiling itself, as mentioned above. When marking the wing, we will need to make its mirror image with an indent slightly larger than the front height of the rib.
A ruler was used as a material for the ribs. Initially, I made an irregularly shaped rib with a sharp forehead, but then, after receiving advice on the forum, I corrected myself. In general, it is advisable to make a profile as in the drawing, but with dimensions suitable for our wing.
In the first three ribs, at the same distance, two holes were made for the spokes, which were originally intended as devices for attaching the wing to the fuselage. But even if you make a wing with a top mount, I think you can leave the spokes, as they will give the wing rigidity and prevent it from breaking.
When everything is prepared, we proceed to folding the wing. On the Internet you can find many ways to bend ceilings. The essence is the same everywhere – you need to warm it up. I heated it with a heater. And the main thing here is not to rush. Choose a temperature at which it is not too hot, and the sheet bends as it should.
Already on the next wings I did this: I took two wooden 50 cm rulers, applied them on both sides and bent (pressed) with the rulers, not with my hands. This was done so that there would be no dents from the fingers. Fixed it when gluing with clothespins and even paper clips. When gluing, when fixing, it is also better to use a flat backing in the form of rulers.
I only realized this when the wing, left to dry until the morning, had dents from clothespins and paper clips.
It so happened that on one wing, the end chord turned out to be 5-7 mm smaller than on the other. Having tortured several sheets of ceiling, I decided to make it simpler. I measured the missing piece, cut it out from scraps and glued it on. After covering with tape, the differences were not visible.
Next, we make the profile of the inner wall of the wing from a ruler. It is enough to simply attach the wing vertically to a sheet of paper and trace along the contour, and then transfer the resulting contour to a ruler. On this profile I had two rows of holes – the first for the spokes exiting the wing, and the second, slightly lower and slightly to the side for the spokes entering from the opposite wing.
Then we cut out a rectangular piece of the ceiling, with an approximate overlap of 30-50 mm on the wing. Having evenly positioned the blank on the wing (as in the photo), glue the lower part. After the glue dries, we bend it to the shape of the wing. We try the resulting wing on the fuselage, mark the width and remove unnecessary areas with a knife.
There was even an idea to increase the wing area in this way, but since the plane flew, it was decided to leave everything as it is.
The wing was covered with white tape with an overlap of 3-5 mm. The ends of the wings were orange. I printed the inscriptions on a laser printer, cut them and glued them to transparent tape. I did not resort to using an iron to smooth out unevenness, since a slight overheating could lead to deformation.
I used thick knitting needles as braces. But either I made a mistake in my calculations, or the knitting needles turned out to be a rather heavy material; in flight, after several maneuvers, they fell out even after gluing. Perhaps it makes sense to find an easier option. For example, as E. Rybkin suggests, you can use cotton candy tubes or choose an analogue.
To install the struts, I used juice straws in tetra bags, since with their help it is easy to achieve the desired angle for installing the struts. I glued it into the wing using epoxy.
The papier-mâché technique is very popular, because if you use it correctly, you can make a lot of beautiful, bright and original crafts. These can be not only interesting plates, but also many other designs, for example, decorative figures, figurines and festive decorations – there are a great many options.
If you plan to make a plate with your own hands using the papier-mâché technique, then it makes sense to get a few useful tips and recommendations.
- Often the necessary mixture is prepared from paper and paste, without using regular PVA glue. If you use a paste, it is not recommended to prepare too much material for work with this component. First of all, it is advisable to choose the optimal consistency and ratio of all ingredients.
- In order for the homemade product to turn out better and avoid unnecessary problems, it is recommended to dry each layer of laid out paper. To make the process go quickly enough, in some situations you can use an ordinary hairdryer. However, the latter should be used only as a last resort.
- The number of paper layers largely depends on what kind of craft the master wants to make. According to many professionals, it is best to lay paper in 4-5 layers.
- When all the steps for making the original craft are completed, it is strongly recommended to leave it to dry completely. Absolutely any item must be dried for 24 hours. You can spend more time on this process, but definitely not less. If we are talking about very complex and large products, then this time can be increased up to 3-4 days.
- Paint can only be applied to completely dry crafts made using the technique discussed. If you rush through this stage of work, you can harm the quality of the product.
- When making products using the papier-mâché technique, you should not rush too much. Because of this, homemade products can turn out sloppy and careless.
- If you plan to make a beautiful craft, it is recommended to first stock up on a large oilcloth. It should be spread on the table where you want to do your work. Thus, the working surfaces will be well protected from unnecessary contamination.
- It is not recommended to use radiators or heaters to quickly dry papier-mâché. Such crafts should be dried in natural conditions. If you do not follow this recommendation, the product may become cracked or deformed.
- It is recommended that finished and completely dry products be sanded as carefully as possible. This is the only way to achieve a perfectly flat and smooth surface of the crafts. The craftsman should get rid of any defects and irregularities.
- You can level the surfaces of original crafts made using the papier-mâché technique using regular putty. It should be applied only after preliminary application of the primer mixture.
- If you want to putty a craft, it is best to give preference to acrylic compounds. If these are not commercially available, you can choose a gypsum option.
DIY papier mache plate. how to make and decorate a plate? master class with photos
Today I propose to make a beautiful deep papier-mâché plate with your own hands. The plate can be of any shape – flat or, on the contrary, deep soup. In my example, the deep plate is a fruit bowl.
You probably remember how, as a child, you made various cute little things out of paper, using the papier-mâché technique, during craft lessons. If you forgot the whole process of this technique or some steps, in this master class I will show you how to make a plate – a papier mache bowl with your own hands. The activity is incredibly simple and enjoyable, and the result is beautiful and functional.
To create a deep plate we will need:
- several newspapers,
- 4-5 sheets of white A4 paper,
- plate with water,
- PVA glue,
- paint of the required color (mine is green),
- paint brush,
- plate – base.
1. Tear the newspaper into small pieces and soak them in water. In general, any large plate will do as a base plate. In this case, a glass salad bowl is used.
2. Turn the salad bowl over and begin to cover the entire surface with wet pieces of newspaper. Feel free to apply several layers, this will make the plate more durable and solid. When the entire outside of the plate is completely covered, leave it to dry overnight.
3. When the newspapers have dried, carefully begin to cover the second layer with wet paper. Leave to dry.
4. Next, pour PVA glue into a small bowl. We tear sheets of A4 paper into small pieces, dip them in glue and glue them on top of a plate or bowl. This must be done very carefully, otherwise the dried lower layers that float on the water will fall off. But we can’t do it any other way; we need the plate to separate from the base. So, we cover the entire outside of the plate with white paper.
5. When the glue has dried, carefully remove the glass base. Now we have a newspaper from the inside,
6. We cover it with white paper dipped in glue.
7. When the layer has dried, we begin to paste over another layer of paper. Also make sure that the edges of the plate are glued. It is advisable to apply 3-4 layers inside and out, in which case the plate or bowl will be especially stable.
8. We want to be able to put freshly washed fruit into a papier mache plate without the plate getting soggy. Therefore, we paint it with enamel paint of any color. I chose green because I was making it before the New Year. And at this time, you especially want a beautiful green color, and tangerines and oranges look better against a green background.
10. Paint the plate in two layers, wait until it dries completely. It is advisable to take the plate out into the fresh air so that the smell disappears.
Our handmade deep papier mache plate is ready. Although it can even be used as a fruit vase! Fill it with fruit and enjoy.
Make various items from paper
very simple and easy. And if you use plasticine as a base, you can make almost any thing. Thus, papier-mâché is an indispensable assistant in making New Year’s masks and voluminous cards for March 8
, Easter eggs
, valentines, fairytale house
Making your own bedside table will not take much time. You just need to sketch out a drawing of a product that suits your design, prepare the material and tools.
The list of further actions is as follows:
- drank all the elements;
- assembling the frame of wooden furniture: connecting the board and side panel with screws;
- cutting holes for future drawers;
- screwing the second side panel, forming a furniture support;
- installation of the panel from above, both with and without a canopy;
- installation of drawer guides;
- connection of all drawer parts;
- installation of facade panels.
The drawers are put into place last. All fastenings are made with self-tapping screws or self-tapping screws. Decoration can be done upon request. Not only wood can be used to make furniture.